Beacon Academy Trust – Payroll Manager
Location: Ilford, Essex
Salary: £30,324 – £38,299
The Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and expects all members of staff to share this commitment. The below documents must be read prior to applying for this role and will be factored into interviews:
Enhanced DBS (with list checks) is required for this post.
Please forward your electronic applications to email@example.com
Please note, we reserve the right to close or extend this position, therefore we would urge candidates to submit an application as soon as possible.
General Role Profile
|Level of role – Tier 3|
|These posts will have contacts with internal and external people and agencies. Contacts at this level would include discussing service needs, the supply of straightforward advice and initiating action to provide advice.
Their work is carried out within clearly defined rules and procedures involving decisions chosen from a range of established alternatives. These posts will follow established processes and be the gatekeeper to ensure compliance.
These posts require the ability to undertake work of a variety of advanced tasks confined to one function or area of activity which requires detailed knowledge and skills in a specialist discipline.
To supervise staff at levels 2 and 1. Post holders with supervisory responsibility must communicate relevant information to their direct reports to ensure their areas of responsibility are effective and efficient.
The post holders will be accountable for their work outputs and accuracy and the performance management of staff they closely supervise
|Purpose of role|
|To manage an effective and efficient payroll service for the efficient conduct of the Beacon Multi Academy Trust.|
|General duties and responsibilities|
· Management, coordination and processing of the entire payroll function from end to end
· Maintain payroll information by designing systems, directing the collection, calculation, and entering of data.
· First point of contact for all payroll related enquiries
· Processing auto enrolment, RTI and Statutory Payments
· Processing Pensions, Holiday Pay, SMP, SSP and other deductions (must understand manual calculations)
· Fully compliant with the current legislation
· Process/check all payroll forms and pay actions e.g. new starters, leavers, pay changes, claims and expenses.
· In year real-time information submissions to HMRC and final year end submissions, including the completion of employees’ P60s
· Reconcile the payroll accounts and timely resolution of payroll discrepancies.
· Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
· Maintain payroll best practice and statute by writing and updating policies and procedures and advising management as necessary
· Process the monthly BACS payment, monthly pension returns and all Year end processes.
· Ensuring compliance to new legislation and reporting changes to HR and Finance Director
· Manage the auto-enrolment function including enrolling new members, adjusting contributions, reporting to LGPS, TPS and NEST
· Reconcile all pension and benefits ledgers
· Prepare monthly pension reports for payment processing
· Supporting the month end processes, statutory returns and year end processes
· Post monthly recharges through the finance ledger
· Post all monthly payroll journals
· Monthly reconciliation all payroll control accounts on the balance sheet
· Support FD in the preparation of annual staffing budgets
· Ad-hoc reporting as required by management
· Liaising with internal and external auditors for all pay related queries
· Prepare financial analysis and reports as required to support the preparation of management accounts
· Prepare ad-hoc costings as required for all aspects of Trust services
· Monthly monitoring of staffing budgets and providing monthly variance analysis reports to management
· Contribute to, develop and maintain the HR Management Information systems
· Carry out system administration activities – e.g. system maintenance, testing, system/data checks, fault-finding and resolution, managing user access
· Train staff – e.g. designing and delivering training, and producing user guides.
· Support reporting activity across the whole range of HR and Finance functions
· Assist other HR and finance team members as and when required
· Develop or improve workflow/systems to achieve greater efficiencies
· Development of a coherent and efficient payroll and finance processes
The above-mentioned duties are neither exclusive nor exhaustive, they may change as requirements and circumstances change. The post holder may be required to carry out such other duties as requested by management that are broadly within the level of the post.
|1. Professional qualification in Accounting/HR or working towards||D||A/I/R|
|2. Payroll related qualification||E||A/I/R|
|3. Educated to degree level||E||A/I/R|
|4. GCSEs (C or above in Maths English and IT)||E||A/I/R|
|1. Demonstrable solid experience of end to end payroll processing providing effective payroll and pensions advice and support||E||A/I|
|2. Detailed knowledge of HMRC online platforms, auto enrolment and PAYE and regulations||E||A/I/R|
|3. Strong payroll systems experience||E||A/I|
|4. Strong analytical skills and trouble-shooting abilities|
|5. Excellent IT skills (including advanced level Excel), and proficient in the use of IT packages and payroll software||E||A/I|
|6. Advanced user Excel skills||E||A/I|
|7. Excellent up-to-date knowledge of statutory obligations and HMRC legislation and reporting||E||A/I|
|8. Experience of using, developing and improving systems and procedures||E||A/I/R|
|9. Excellent organisation skills and ability to prioritise and adhere to deadlines||E||A/I/R|
|10. Ability to work at speed and maintain a high level of accuracy||E||A/I|
|11. Finance and accounting knowledge experience||E||A/I|
|12. HR knowledge and experience||D||A/I|
|13. To prepare and deliver effective presentations||D||A/I|
|14. Ability to work well within a team, and support colleagues||E||A/I/R|
|15. Reliable, respectful and confident||E||A/I/R|
|16. Integrity and confidentiality to be maintained at all times, including full security of HR/payroll and financial systems.||E||I|
|17. Commitment to and understanding of equal opportunities and safeguarding.||E||I/R|
|18. Flexibility as the role will require working between Academies within the Trust.||E||I|
|The Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and expects all members of staff to share this commitment. Enhanced DBS Disclosure is required for this post.|