Beacon Academy Trust – Senior HR Officer
Location: Ilford, Essex
Salary: £30,324 – £38,229
Duration: 36 hours/ 52.14 weeks per year
The Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and expects all members of staff to share this commitment. The below documents must be read prior to applying for this role and will be factored into interviews:
Enhanced DBS (with list checks) is required for this post.
Please forward your electronic applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, we reserve the right to close or extend this position, therefore we would urge candidates to submit an application as soon as possible.
|Generic Post Descriptor – Level 3|
|These posts will have contacts with internal and external people and agencies. Contacts at this level would include discussing service needs, the supply of straightforward advice and initiating action to provide advice.
Their work is carried out within clearly defined rules and procedures involving decisions chosen from a range of established alternatives. These posts will follow established processes and be the gatekeeper to ensure compliance.
Post holders will have the ability to undertake work of a variety of advanced tasks confined to one function or area of activity which requires detailed knowledge and skills in a specialist discipline.
To supervise staff at levels 3, 2 and 1 where it is clear that post holders have supervisory responsibility and communicate relevant information so that their areas of responsibility are effective and efficient.
The post holder will be accountable for their work outputs and accuracy and the performance management of staff they closely supervise
|· Responsible to the HR Director
· Responsible for direct line management of HR team members
|Key Purpose of the role|
|· To provide an effective and efficient HR Central service for the efficient conduct of the Beacon Multi Academy Trust.
· Advise on employment law and Safeguarding legislation
· Advise and adhere to safer recruitment practices in all recruitment processes
· Support the HR Director with HR metrics and data returns and ensure that information is accurate and submitted to deadline.
|General duties and responsibilities|
· Hold responsibility in key HR areas; taking a lead, reviewing, monitoring and ensuring compliance
· Manage a case load of ER cases e.g. absence, disciplinary, capability etc
· Ensure effective case management in accordance with BMAT procedure and to the specified time-frame
o support the investigation of sensitive and complex situations
o coach/train Investigating Managers on process and best practice
· Provide general HR information and advice on complex people matters
· Provide HR support at meetings e.g. advising, coaching, note-taking
· Provide information, training, advice and guidance to managers on the proper implementation and practice of BMAT HR policies and procedures
· Ensure HR processes are safeguarding compliant, SCR is up-to-date, checked and signed off at regular intervals
· Draft reports and briefings for the HR Director and managers, participating in meetings with colleagues and external parties
· To work proactively, monitoring HR processes and procedures, instigating appropriate action and implementing improvements as necessary
· Implement HR procedures and systems in line with HR plans e.g. performance management system etc
· Contribute to the successful achievement of team plans by taking responsibility for own workload/projects and that of other team members, processing work efficiently and reporting on the progress until completion.
· Support the wider HR team by providing accurate and timely advice and guidance
· Keep up-to-date with current trends and legislation changes, develop good practice and innovative HR initiatives
· Contribute to policy development and contract reviews
· Participate in Trade Union negotiations and consultations
· Support the monthly payroll, implement pay decisions and deal with queries as required
· Support the School Workforce Census
· Lead on statutory returns as required e.g. Gender Pay Gap Reporting
· Undertake projects as required e.g. restructures, TUPE, talent management
· Maintain and update the HR system and provide reports as required
· Manage the HR personal filing systems ensuring employee data and employee files are secure, accurate, up-to-date and fully compliant with all relevant legislations
· Manage the HR communication systems ensuring that queries are customer focused and responded to within the agreed timelines
The above mentioned duties are neither exclusive nor exhaustive, duties and responsibilities of the post may change as requirements and circumstances change. The post holder will be required to carry out duties as requested by management that are broadly within the level of the post.
Generic Role Criteria
|2. Advanced level HR qualification e.g. CIPD Level 7 or equivalent||E||A/I/R|
|3. Degree or equivalent||E||A/I/R|
|4. Demonstrate practical experience and understanding of complex ER issues||D||A/I|
|5. Recent proven HR generalist (or ER specialist) experience||E||A/I|
|6. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of Employment Law and HR best practice||E||A/I|
|7. Experience of using, developing and implementing HR systems and procedures||E||A/I|
|8. Recent proven experience of working within a busy HR Environment||E||A/I|
|9. Proficient in Office packages including Word and Excel||E||A/I|
|10. Demonstrate effective leadership and management experience||E||A/I|
|11. Demonstrate strong communication skills and the ability to build relationships with key stakeholders at all levels||E||A/I|
|12. Excellent organisation skills and ability to prioritise and adhere to deadlines||E||I/R|
|13. Excellent presentation skills, report writing and administration skills with a high level of attention to detail||E||A/I/R|
|14. Reliable, respectful, responsible & conscientious approach||E||A/I/R|
|15. Flexibility to deal with the diverse needs of the post including some travel across the Trust||E||A/I|
|16. Establish and maintain appropriate professional relationships||E||A/I/R|
|17. Integrity and confidentiality to be maintained at all times||E||A/I/R|
|18. High level of initiative and ability to work independently or as part of a team with a range of staff||E||A/I/R|
|19. Able to remain calm and composed under pressure and work to deadlines||E||A/I/R|
|20. Commitment to and understanding of equal opportunities and safeguarding||E||A/I/R|
|BMAT is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and expects all members of staff to share this commitment. Enhanced DBS Disclosure is required for this post.|